Y10 Work Experience
Monday 15th July – Friday 19th July 2019
What is Work Experience?
A work placement is your opportunity to spend time out of the classroom, learning about a particular job or area of work. Work experience can help you decide on your options for after Year 11 and beyond. It will give you the chance to develop and show evidence of essential life skills such as self-confidence, communication, independence and much more, depending on what type of placement you do.
What type of Work Experience can I do?
Most students will be expected to find their own work placements. Think about what type of work you would like to do. A good starting point is thinking about your favourite subjects; make a list of related jobs. Here are some examples:
- English: newspapers, magazines, libraries, teaching, advertising, TV & film, radio …
- Maths: banking, accountancy, engineering …
- Geography: environmental services, charities, town planning …
Failing this, consider your hobbies and interests outside of school. One of these might be related to a career that you will really enjoy, and you are already doing it!
How to find a placement?
Here is a timeline of how you might go about finding a work experience placement:
- Decide what type of placement you want
- Create a list of possible companies/organisations to contact
- Select the most appropriate ones to contact first (such as closest to home or someone you know works there)
- Phone or email your contacts (work through your list)
- If you are phoning, write a little script first so that you know what you are going to say (see mini-script attached)
- If you are emailing, get an adult to check over the email first to ensure that you have the correct information and are creating the right impression (see exemplar attached)
- Do NOT be disheartened if you are not successful first time
- Go back to your original list and select some more
- If you are not able to secure a placement in your chosen career, you will need to choose an alternative
Once you have found a place you need the contact at the placement to complete a Work Experience Employers Agreement confirming that they are willing to offer you a place. (A copy is available to download below)
If you have any queries, please speak to your Form Tutor or Mrs V Bartlett.
When you are at your placement
Once you begin your placement make sure you complete your online diary. A link will be sent to you before you begin your work experience. Before you go, you will be given advice about how to get the most out of your placement, as well as expectation regarding your conduct whilst you are there. You are representing KNBS so it is really important that you present yourself in an appropriate manner – you never know, if you do well there may be a future job opportunity for you.
After your placement
After you have completed your placement make sure you send a thankyou letter to the employer. (Template available below)